1938: Store Opens
Thanks for taking a moment to learn more about us and our historical roots in Kenosha, WI! Herbert’s Jewelers was founded by Herbert N. Block in October of 1938. Herbert traveled the world searching for the ideal location for the shop before settling on the bustling city of Kenosha, WI. Originally called “Herbert’s Credit Jewelers”, Herbert offered credit terms to all of his customers. This was unusual at the time, because most jewelers only extended credit to their wealthiest clients. He issued a passbook and charged a “dollar down and a dollar a week”. Located in downtown Kenosha, Herbert’s carried everything from engagement rings to fine china to bowling balls.
"A dollar down and a dollar a week."
1975: Ed Block Takes the Reins
In 1975 Herbert’s son, Ed, left a career as a criminal defense attorney in Dallas and moved back to his hometown of Kenosha with his family. He began running Herbert’s Jewelers and enrolled in courses offered by the Gemological Institute of America. In 1983 Ed moved the store to the new Pershing Plaza location. He was an involved member of the community, supporting many local charities and organizations. Ed was a firm believer in giving back and helping those in need. He ran the store with deep devotion to his work until he passed away in October of 2011. Ed will be greatly missed.
"Ed was a firm believer in giving back and helping those in need."
2004: Lisa Block Continues the Tradition
In July of 2004, Lisa Block returned to Kenosha with her family to work with her father. As she learned about the business, she also took courses through the GIA and continued using her background in art through designing jewelry for the store and for clients’ specific requests. Lisa previously directed the Gibraltar High School Art Department in Fish Creek, Door County, WI. She was named an Emerging Artist by the Peninsula Art School and exhibited many works of art in shows and competitions. Among the courses she taught were Metals and Jewelry Design. Lisa earned Fine Art and Art Education degrees from the University of Wisconsin Madison with a concentration in Art History. She now runs the store as the third generation and continues the family tradition.
Herbert’s Jewelers has always been about supporting our community through local charities, fundraising events, and organizations. We believe in helping groups of people in need, and for the benefits to go directly to the cause. Herbert’s has a long-standing tradition of supporting local charities such as Goodfellows, The Shalom Center, the Boys and Girls Club, the Kenosha Achievement Center and many more local schools, churches and special interest groups. For information on donations and support, please contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org.